Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A night at Bar Wotever

Last night I did a spoken word performance at Bar Wotever which is a weekly Queer night at an ancient gaybar called Central Station. It was one of those things i committed to without thinking it through, then 20 minutes out from my 'slot' or whatever its called I got hell nervous.
The audience was very sweet and supportive though and I had some good friends in the crowd, including an old mate from Sydney, Jet who actually got me started performing when she put on a performance night at the old Midnight Star squatted social centre in Homebush, Sydney in 2001 0r 2002. I think that's a big reason why I did it.
So I started with a few little stories from Church Street, funny things that have happened in the last four years of me living there. Carpeting the backyard for example. Naked roof sunbathing. I am convinced that there is a book to be written from that house.
Then i did 2 pieces from my latest zine, Newsflash and what do we want? that I pieced together.
The final bit that I did was a reworked anarchist alphabet that I had written on strips of paper. I got 3 people from the audience to come up and make the shape of the letter as I went through the alphabet behind me. That was funny and cute. So as I went through each letter I fed this roll of paper out into the audience, and everyone took it to pieces at the end and kept 4 words or so each. A really sweet and amazing response.
The rest of the evening was spent on the rooftop terrace where I sold some patches and stickers and chatted with some beautiful friends, old and new, Jet, Neil, Al and Joe Pop among others. Then myself and Neil took off for Soho where we had a few quiet unnecessary beers and caught up on a giant black leather couch.
Ill figure out how to post photos here sooner or later.

1 comment:

Dreck said...

Woteva!
Please do post yr photos, Lego Man.
You sound like you're having the most amazing time!
Was in Sydney this time last week, wishing you were there but glad you're having a great time in unLondun.
X