Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Newtown DIY Markets





So i thought it was about time i wrote about my favorite little project, the DIY markets, on the last Saturday of every month. I'll be uploading an article about it from my new zine, Coughing Up Legomen #20 when it comes out. Soon...
But at last Saturdays market I mediated an argument about space at 7am and then I thought, fuck it, I'm not doing this anymore. I'm not paid anyway as a coordinator or conflict resolution person. 7am is way too early for me to deal with that stuff. No matter how many coffees I've had. So I went around all the stalls and said that there was going to be a group greeting/meeting and chat at 8.30 and in the end about 30-35 stall-holders came down for a chat about the markets, issues about space and a round of introductions.
Perhaps I'm jumping the gun. The markets were started about five years ago by three of us, Joey Nitro, Pete and myself as a platform for local art, culture and secondhand wares. Over the years word has spread about the free market and now we get about 40 stalls every month. We used to get there at 10am and have all the space we wanted, now we get there earlier and earlier and the square opposite the station is fuller and fuller every month.
Anyways the chat was great. everyone walked off talking to each other and figuring out how we could all manage the free space we've set up every month. I organise a sound system crew to come and play music and we pass the hat for them around the stalls at about 1pm and to buy ice creams for all the marketfolk.
The photos are from the wonderful Moz's website, moz.net.nz. They are two years old but they might give you a flavour of it. There are more recent photos on the way. Hurrah for free local culture! Im wearing my 'get trucked' hat that I sadly lost. A moment of silence for my lost cap please. See you at the next market.

No comments: